Friday, February 8, 2019

A Virginian Speaks Out On "Blackface"

Disclosure: I am a Virginian, and a conservative with libertarian leanings in some things. And given my "druthers", I would rather have Republicans running things. That said, I feel the need to take a stand on the political debacle now transpiring in my state. I don't expect everyone to agree with my "take", but I do hope everyone would at least think about it.

As to the "black-face" controversy, I do not believe it should even be a  controversy, except by those who LOOK for controversy and victimization. When I see that picture of two young men dressed as a black dude and a Klansman, and the "black-face" dude is obviously smiling, I do not see racism - I see two people who are MOCKING racism. And when I see a picture of someone wearing blackface to "dress-up" as a rapper, again I see no racism - I see someone who, in his own inept way, is honoring rap
.
My point here - wearing blackface is not a crime, and more to the point needs to be viewed in context. As I see it, it's like "Taco Night" at the college. The kids dress up in Mexican garb and pig out on Mexican food. Now, there are two ways to view that. If you are a whiner (and this actually happened) who feeds on victimization, you might view it as "appropriating someone else's culture" and get it shut it down. Setting aside for the moment that there is nothing wrong with "appropriating culture", a clear-headed thinking person who doesn't waste time looking for things to complain about would see Taco Night as a CELEBRATION of another culture. America, the "melting pot", has ALWAYS "appropriated" worthwhile pieces of other cultures - tacos, pizza, even some of their words, like "Adios", or "sayanara". That is how we come together as one. And that's a GOOD thing.

So, as to those who have worn blackface, I say, "So what". Who has not done questionable things in their past? I know I have done my share. It does not by any stretch of the imagination make a person racist. But if you are the type who believes in finding racism wherever you can, then maybe you should take a chill pill and think about how millions of white people spend mega-hours each year trying to get a great tan. Is THAT racist, too? I say to people who look for trouble that they will find it, and I hope it bites them in the butt!

As for the other guy, who has had two women allege sexual assault, make no mistake - if true, he should be in prison. Which begs the question - the statute of limitations is not up, so exactly WHY are they not bringing criminal charges? Frankly, I believe he did it. But what anyone "believes" actually has nothing to do with anything. People can be wrong. And that is why the Constitution requires due process, and a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Oust him if you wish - but only after the evidence is in and proves him guilty. In America, we don't punish people until we know they are guilty. So, prove him guilty, or leave him be.

And as for impeaching the Lt Governor, though I would like to see that, forget it. Under the Virginia  Constitution (which the delegate trying to impeach him should have at least read), impeachment can only be for crimes committed while in office. These crimes, if they occurred at all, happened long before he was in office.

That brings me to the one, serious issue I DO have that I believe should cost the governor his job - his readiness to allow infanticide, and support it. Under all current laws, that is murder. Anyone who supports the murder of ANY individual is a person I do not want governing my state. And in this case, the proof is already in sight - he stated on camera that even AFTER birth, a mother and her doctor can decide if they want to kill the newborn or let it live. Once a baby leaves the womb, it is a citizen, endowed with and protected by the rights under the constitution.

Northam needs to go because of that, alone. Blackface means nothing to sane people who are not looking for some way to hurt other people.

And that's my take, for what it's worth.

No comments: