Thursday, December 7, 2017

Going Over The Edge on Sexual Harrassment? (A True Story)

This is a true story.

In 1990, a woman whistled at me where I was staying (there's a first time for everything, I guess). She was 30, I was 45. A bit uncomfortable, I just hustled off. Two days later, she whistled at me again. Again I just sped off.

A few days later I was walking down Maple Street. The woman, who was with her boyfriend of sorts at the time, was about a hundred feet behind me. I noticed she started gaining on me, so I sped up, hoping to leave her in the dust, as I was wary of her motives. But the faster I walked, the faster she walked. She caught up to me. Was she stalking me?

I spoke briefly with her, and let her know I was not comfortable with her chasing me like that, and I turned and left.

According to the rules that feminists would have us live by today, this was clearly a case of harrassment and stalking, and I should have filed a complaint with the authorities. But in 1990, the world had not yet become that insane.

That evening, As I was eating in the cafeteria, she came and sat beside me. I was about to get up, really miffed, when she said, "Please, wait - I want to talk with you." I sat down, and she simply said, "I m sorry if I made you uncomfortable, but the first time I saw you I was attracted to you, and I really didn't know how to show it, or get your attention. I just wanted to get to know you better."

We began spending time together, and we grew close. About a month later, in that same cafeteria, SHE proposed to ME, as she did not think I'd ever get around to it.

We have now been married for 26 glorious, fun-filled blissful years. Still very much in love, and inseparable. We remarried on our 10th Anniversary, and on our 25th I showed up at her work and publicly, on bended knee, proposed to her. See? I DID get around to it!

If we had lived by the rules the feminists are putting forth today, we would never have gotten to know each other; we would never have married, and would have missed out on a perfect life that even Hollywood could not have scripted better. In fact, by those rules, Robin (my wife) would have probably gone to jail, or in the very least, lost her job.

CONCLUSION: The "Battle of the Sexes" is supposed to be a fun, yet challenging game, not a "take no prisoners" war. We all are fumbling our way through this thing we call life, and we all have our own ways of trying to attract members of the opposite sex (or same sex, as the case may be). And if we are to survive as a race, we need to be tolerant of the methods used by others, and speak up clearly when we inadvertently attract the wrong people. Otherwise, we end up with a world of misery, like the one we have now begun to create, as people are beginning to fear  the consequences of "the mating game".

/

No comments: