Saturday, August 13, 2016

How To Scam The Phone Scammers

Every now and again (like, daily) I get calls from people claiming to be with Google, Microsoft, a credit card company or even some law enforcement agency. Unfortunately, too many people fall for their scams, most particularly the elderly.

Here's what I do - it is both simple and effective. I tell the person (if it is a live person) I waste as much of their time as possible without providing any info, then ask them to give me their number and I will call them back, to verify they are who they say they are. They have two options - either they will not give their number (because they are scammers), or they will give their number (because they are stupid) and hope you will call back so they can get your info.

In the former instance, you have simply dropped them. In the latter instance, call the local authorities and give them the number the scammer gave you, so they can trace it. Scammer busted.

Now, if you get such calls and they are robocalls - a recording - simply hang up. That is always a scam. I usually leave the phone "off the hook" until they disconnect, as that wastes their time.

/

No comments: